Texas Sonogram Law Prevents Doctors From Banning Women From Seeing Sonogram
The Texas Sonogram law is now in full effect as of January 13, 2012, as ordered by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Yes, every abortion clinic and abortion doctor in Texas must follow this law, now. Any doctor seeking to perform an abortion on a woman in Texas must follow this law that protects women and makes it illegal for doctors to prevent a woman from seeing a sonogram image. During the legislative process, we heard so many women testify about how abortion clinic doctors would not let them see the sonogram image.
The Sonogram law requires:
1. A woman must have the sonogram displayed so she can see it.
2. A woman must have a sonogram performed on her.
3. The baby’s heartbeat must be made audible so the woman can hear it.
4. A woman must be given a description of the sonogram image.
5. A woman must have a face to face meeting with the abortion doctor.
6. A woman must be given this information 24 hours before the abortion.
If a doctor does not provide a woman with this information, the doctor faces civil penalties.
Spread the word, and make sure every woman in Texas knows that she now has significant protections in the law when she goes into an abortion clinic. If you hear of any doctor or abortion clinic not following this law, please contact our office immediately at 512-478-2220.