ACTION ALERT! House Sponsor, Rep. Jerry Madden, Expects Veto; Coalition Letter to Gov. Perry: Protect Children & Parents, VETO SB 1440
SB 1440, which is an unconstitutional attack on children and parental rights as a result of a drastic 4 page amendment on the last days of the session, has still not been acted on by Gov. Perry. Children should not be torn from their homes and be traumatized because of an uncorroborated, anonymous tip. Gov. Perry has just a few days left to sign or VETO SB 1440. click here to read more about this issue details from previous posts. https://txvalues.org/2009/06/08/parental-rights-in-jeopardy-ask-gov-perry-to-veto-sb-1440/
We helped draft a legal analysis letter, joined by a broad coalition of national and Texas groups, and sent it to Gov. Perry, urging Gov. Perry to VETO SB 1440. Click here for Letter to Gov. Perry SB1440 VETOrequest TheHonR Perry 06 15 09
Click here to see the long list of very diverse groups/entities/persons calling for a VETO of SB 1440(we keep updating it as it keeps growing!): VETO SB1440. Call us at 512-478-2220 if you want to add your organization to the VETO SB 1440 list.
Cecilia Wood, Board Certified Family Law Attorney & Texas Family Foundation Member is on of the many attorneys supporting a VETO of SB 1440.
Also, in the letter is a statement from the House Sponsor of SB 1440, Rep. Jerry Madden (R-Plano) who now says he expects for Gov. Perry to VETO SB 1440 and that a mistake was made by accepting the amendment with the unconstitutonal language. Please call Rep. Madden and thank him (512) 463-0544.
Please Call Gov. Perry TODAY and ask him to VETO SB 1440 (512)-463-2000.
Also, Call your State House Represenative and your State Senator and ask him/her to VETO SB 1440.
Click here to find your State House and Senate Member. http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
We respectfully request the VETO of SB 1440, as it:
1. Circumvents Constitutional Protections in the Fifth Circuit’s Gates v. TDPRS decision.
2. Entices State Actors to Violate Clearly Established Law, Subjecting Them to Personal Liability.
3. Allows DFPS to Violate Parental Rights.
4. Removes the “Good Cause” Standard Currently in the Texas Family Code.
5. Authorizes Medical and Other Confidential Records to be Given to Untrained Investigators.
6. Contains Weakened Evidence Standards.
7. Grants Sweeping Powers to Investigators Without Notice or a Hearing.
8. Lacks Parental Protections for Execution of Orders.
9. Emergency/Imminent Danger Situations Are Not At Issue, Not Affected by Veto of SB 1440.
“Liberal” blogs such as the DailyKos.com and others are also supporting a VETO of SB 1440. http://www.star-telegram.com/state_news/story/1424581.html and http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2009/06/conservative-veto-call-for-expanded-cps.html
Video from Press Conference on SB 1440