Support balanced, common sense social studies. Stop the liberal takeover of Texas education. Click here for details LibertyInstituteSBOETalkingPointsupdate
Email us at [email protected] if you would like to testify at the final hearing on social studies, on May 19th.
Contact your State Board of Education (SBOE) member today at: [email protected]
Call your State Representative: http://capwiz.com/libertyinstitute/dbq/officials/
(Some elected officials want to take away your vote by abolishing the SBOE).
Liberty Institute has compiled a condensed list of approved social studies standards for study:
? Historical Figures: Neil Armstrong, Mother Teresa, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Columbus (voted back into standards, previously removed by unelected review committees (Columbus/Edison-partial).
- Tejano leaders: Juan N. Seguin, Lorenzo de Zavala, and Jose Antonio Navarro, others.
- Important Concepts: “American Exceptionalism”
- Contributions of Founding Fathers: John Hancock, John Jay, John Witherspoon, others
- Thomas Jefferson: contribution of his political philosophy (he’s covered in four different sections)
- Religious Heritage: impact of religion and Judeo-Christian legal tradition on America.
- Religious Diversity: Student will learn about Sikhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judiasm, and Confucianism.
- Landmark U.S. Supreme Court cases: Brown v. Bd of Education, Sweat v. Painter, Hernandez v. Texas, Roe v. Wade, Tinker v. Des Moines, Miranda v. Arizona.
Cultural Leaders: Cesar Chavez, Dolores Huerta, Lorenzo de Zavala, James A. Baker III, Hillary Clinton, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Sam Walton, Thurgood Marshall, Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E. B. Dubois, Irma Rangel, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Ellen Ochoa, Harriet Tubman, Todd Beamer, Mary Kay Ash, Roy Benavidez, John Olivas, Henry B. Gonzalez, Jonas Salk, Hector P. Garcia, Carmen Loma Garza, Vernon J. Baker, Michael Dell, George Washington Carver, Michael DeBakey, many others. Groups: LULAC, Black Panthers, NAACP, NRA, Moral Majority, Heritage Foundation, others