The Case Against Joe Straus for Texas Speaker
Update: For More Information about “The Response” Prayer Rally and the numerous religious leaders of various racial, ethnic and denominational backgrounds, click here. http://theresponseusa.com/endorsers.php
Texas Freedom Network (TFN) was started by Cecile Richards, the current head of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Planned Parenthood is the largest aboriton provider in the U.S. TFN’s stated purpose is to target and attack people because of their religious beliefs, specifically “to counter the religious right”.
There will be a rally on Monday, January 10th, at 12:30 p.m. at the north side of the Capitol to ask for “no” vote on Joe Straus for Speaker of the House and a “yes” vote for a true conservative for Speaker of the House.
Click here for a word document format of this information to share with others. THE CASE AGAINST JOE STRAUS FOR TEXAS SPEAKER
Representatives Warren Chisum and Ken Paxton are also running for Texas Speaker of the House and are known a solid conservatives.
Contact your Texas House Member today! Click here.
UpdatedJoeStrausforSpeakerPledgeList Rep. Beverly Wooley recently added her name to this list.
Joe Straus was Selected in 2009 as Speaker By 65 Democrats & Only 11 Republicans:
- Joe Straus Still Relies on Democratic Support (link shows Democrats at his Nov. 3rd press conference).
— Democrat Reps at Straus Press Conference-Rep. Senfronia Thompson and others.
Joe Straus has Strong Planned Parenthood/NARAL Support:
- 2007-NARAL give Joe Straus a 100% approval rating in 2007.
- 2008-Planned Parenthood gave Joe Straus $1000 in 2008 by Winning for Women PAC, and political action committee (PAC) for Planned Parenthood of San Antonio.
- 2009-Planned Parenthood “thanked” Joe Straus in their newsletter for his “tireless efforts.”
- Numerous Pro-Life/Pro-Family leaders oppose Joe Straus as the Texas Speaker of the House.
— Cathie Adams, Elizabeth Graham, Joe Pojman, Dave Welch, Ann Hettinger, Kelly Shackelford, Carol Everett, Margaret Hotze, Jonathan Saenz, Tim Lambert, George Strake, many more.
— See more opposition (over 7,500 signatures) at www.conservativespeakermandate.com
Under Straus, Choose Life License Plate Bill Denied:
- This bill never received a regular hearing, because Democrat Chair, Joe Pickett opposed the bill.
— This bill only received a subcommittee hearing and no vote was ever taken on this bill in committee. Instead, extraordinary measures had to be taken over and over to keep it going through the process by amending similar language to other bills, and still it ultimately did not pass and become law.
- Straus appointed Joe Pickett to this committee.
- This bill had Bipartisan Support (83 of 150 Members had Signed on to support it).
Under Straus Sonogram Bill Denied:
- SB 182 passed the Senate on May 1st and took almost a month for it to reach the House Calendar. When it did (May 26th), it was too late.
- Bipartisan support.
Joe Straus Supported Planned Parenthood Backed Sex Education; HB 1842 (2007):
- Joe Straus was a co-author of the so-called “Texas Prevention First Act,” a Planned Parenthood bill that would have changed how sex education is taught and would have prevented schools from teaching about the actual failure rates for condoms and contraception with “human use reality rates” so students would know that condoms can be more unreliable than advertised. Planned Parenthood had HB 1842 as one of its top priorities to pass in 2007. This bill was also supported by NARAL/Pro-Choice America, NOW, and the ACLU of Texas.
- Numerous pro-life/pro-family groups opposed HB 1842.
Denial of Voting Rights on State Board of Education (SBOE):
- Joe Straus is considering changing the SBOE to an appointed board, taking away the elected SBOE.
- Click here to watch a video on the importance of an elected State Board of Education.
- The elected majority (predominantly Conservative Republicans) recently adopted curriculum standards to promote academic freedom in the science classroom and teaching about our Founding Fathers, U.S. Constitution, and our religious heritage and military and political heroes. The elected board even had to protect the teaching of Christmas and Rosh Hoshanah, alongside other religious holidays.
- Regardless of Joe Straus’ criticism and the criticism of the Texas SBOE by liberal Democrats, the Republican-dominated board went from 10 Republican members to 11 Republican members as a result of the November 2010 elections.
Committee Chair Split & Liberal Power:
- Under Craddick in 2007: 31 Republican Chairs, 9 Democrat Chairs
- Under Straus in 2009: 18 Republican Chairs, 16 Democrat Chairs.
- Straus Committee Chairs went down in Conservative Rating by Young Conservatives of Texas
- Straus appointed one of the most liberal Democrats to lead our Texas House Committee that passes laws on new taxes.
- This Democratic chairman, Rene Oliveira, prevented taxpayer protections from receiving a committee vote.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Community Considers Joe Straus a Friend: