REASONS TO OPPOSE JOE STRAUS FOR TEXAS SPEAKER, AND ELECT A CONSERVATIVE SPEAKER
Straus was Elected By 65 Democrats & Only 11 Republicans:
- Straus Still Relies on Democratic Support (link shows Ds at his press conference last week).
- Democrat Reps at Straus Press Conference-Senfronia Thompson, Richard Raymond, others.
Straus Enjoys Strong Planned Parenthood/NARAL Support:
- 2007-NARAL give him a 100% approval rating. http://www.prochoicetexas.org/instate/2007legislativeguide_rep07-09.shtml
- 2008-Planned Parenthood gave him money.
- 2009-Planned Parenthood “Thanked” Straus in their newsletter. http://blue-dot-blues.blogspot.com/2010/11/planned-parenthood-thanks-speaker.html
Choose Life License Plate Denied Under Straus Reign:
- Never received a regular hearing, because of Demcorat Chair, Rep. Joe Pickett opposed the bill. Rep. Pickett was appointed by Straus.
- Choose Life Bill Had Bipartisan Support (83 of 150 Members had Signed on to support it).
- Choose Life Bill died in the House without a vote in committee or on the House Floor. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB109
Sonogram Bill Denied:
- Had Bipartisan support, yet never received a vote on the House Floor. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB182
Denial of Voting Rights on State Board of Education:
- Straus is considering changing SBOE to an appointed board, take away elected SBOE. See comments here. http://startelegram.typepad.com/politex/2009/03/straus-look-at-changing-state-school-board-electionsmaybe-more.html
- Current State Board of Education recently voted to ensure teaching on religious heritage, the Constitution, and our Founding Fathers.